Have you ever wanted to astound your friends? Or maybe to prove to someone that you have psychic powers? How about you just wanted to do something awesome?
Today Shufflenet teaches you an easy, but mind-blowing magic trick, so that using only ordinary, household objects, you can do the extraordinary.
- One standard deck of 52 playing cards, with the jokers removed.
- Stack the deck so that the order of the cards is as follows: 6♣, A♣, 2♣, 3♣, 4♣, 5♣, 7♣, 8♣, 9♣, 10♣, J♣, Q♣, K♣, followed by the rest of the deck in a random order.
- Bring on the audience.
- Do a fake cut, and offer an audience member the top card, which you know is the 6♣.
- For beginners, instead place the 6♣ in a sealed envelope before beginning the trick, and then ask an audience member to hold the envelope for you.
- Turn the cards face-up and show the audience that the cards are in a random order.
- Be careful not to let the audience see the top 12 cards, which are all clubs.
- Turn the deck back over and show the audience that all the cards are face-down, and that it is simply a regular deck of cards.
- In your mind, count off the first 12 cards from the top of the deck. (These are the 12 clubs).
- Notify the audience that you will begin to divide the deck into 4 random piles, each of roughly equal size.
- Make sure that the 1st pile has exactly 12 cards in it, as these are the 12 remaining clubs in the deck.
- Continue to divide the deck into 4 piles. It does not matter how many cards are in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th piles.
- Place the 2nd and 4th piles face-up, while leaving the 1st and 3rd face-down.
- Shuffle the 1st and 2nd piles together.
- Flip the shuffled deck over, so that the pile with the clubs in it is face-up, and shuffle it into the 3rd pile, which is face down.
- Turn the shuffled deck over one more time, so that the clubs are now face-down, and shuffle this into the remaining pile, which is face-up.
- If you have done everything correctly, you will now have only the clubs face-down, with all the remaining cards face-up.
- Fan out the cards to show the audience that the cards are randomly shuffled, and that there are black cards, red cards, face-up cards, face-down cards, etc.
- Ask a spectator to wave their hands above the cards, and to say a magic word.
- Flip the cards over one last time, and to the audience’s amazement, the face-up cards are all clubs, which are all in order from least to greatest.
- Point out that all of the clubs are there, except for the 6♣.
- The 6♣, of course, is the card being held by the audience member!
All finished? Continue on the Shufflenet Road Trip!